Penningtons Manches LLP
Penningtons Manches LLP is a top 50 UK law firm with a special focus on the technology and life sciences sectors. With our head office in the City in London, five other UK regional offices including Oxford and Cambridge and an office in San Francisco, we have close to 400 lawyers covering all areas of law relevant to businesses and organisations based at or relocating to LBIC. Our membership of the Multilaw and European Law Group networks gives us access to top quality legal advice in the USA and all other major jurisdictions.
Our life sciences team advises on:
- IP and commercial agreements including research, collaboration, clinical trial, manufacture and supply, out and in licensing agreements and technology transfer at all stages of development
- Corporate and business disposals and acquisitions
- Equity/venture capital funding transactions, from business angel investments through to major institutional investor deals
- Regulatory compliance
- Corporate governance and company secretarial
- Corporate restructuring/reorganisations
- Share options including EMI and growth share and other share schemes
- Joint ventures and co-operation agreements
- Tax including R&D tax credits and the 'patent box'
- Commercial and IP dispute resolution including patent and cross border litigation
- IT, digital business and data protection
- Employment law and immigration including assistance with sponsor licensing, business visitors and EEA applications
- Real estate
Our lawyers have extensive experience of working with life sciences companies, both in-house and in private practice. Many have technical backgrounds, enabling them to offer a commercially focused and pragmatic approach to our advice.
We act for businesses at all stages of their life cycle, from global pharmaceutical companies to SMEs, numerous growth and early stage companies (including many spun-out from Imperial College and Oxford University), investors, research organisations and universities (including King’s College London).
We have a dedicated venture capital team advising company clients on more than 40 VC funding deals a year, from seed and angel funding through to Series A and B and beyond, including many in the life sciences sector.
Representative transactions include:
- advising Immunocore on its multi-million US$ co-discovery and co-development agreement to research and potentially develop new T cell-based cancer therapies with Eli Lilly
- advising Veryan Holdings on its £18m Series B funding led by Imperial Innovations and supported by Invesco Asset Management, Seroba Kernel and Seven Mile Capital, to develop Veryan’s 3D stent technology
- acting for Adaptimmune on its multi-million US$ strategic collaboration and licensing agreement with GlaxoSmithKline for the development and commercialisation of its clinical cancer programme
- advising Oxford Gene Technology on its acquisition of Cytocell, a leading developer and manufacturer of probes for use in routine cytogenetics and in the analysis and classification of cancers
Our offer to LBIC clients
For current or prospective LBIC tenant clients we offer:
- a free initial consultation
- a 15% discount on fees for the first year plus a 10% discount on fees for the second year
- lower regional (rather than London) fee rates
- fixed fees on funding rounds and licensing deals where possible
- fully contingent fee deals on early stage funding rounds where possible
- participation in our life sciences and other legal know how programmes, including email updates, webinars and seminars